With much anticipation, Canada’s very first natural swimming pool opened this month in Edmonton!
There have been a couple of setbacks, but, seeing as its the first of its kind in Canada and only the second in North America we can understand. The pool was modeled after swimming pools that are very popular in Germany and Austria! The water is treated using a series of sand and gravel filters and by the natural interactions of plants, algae, and zooplankton.
What You Should Know Before You Go
- The pool is on the cooler side, they only heat up the pool to 23C and then let the sun do the rest
- Any products containing phosphates are not allowed! Which can be found in sunscreens, lotions, hair products, etc.
- They have a smaller 0.6m pool for your little kiddos and a sloped entry pool which is 2m deep
- You MUST take a cleansing shower from head to toe prior to entering the pool. This is extremely important as there are no chemicals at all in the pool.
- There is sand! Which is amazing as it gives it such a fun beachy feel. There are also large beach umbrellas and a great lounging area to soak up some sun
- No cotton materials allowed
We are so excited and feel blessed that our community is taking a step in the right direction by using fewer chemicals. We do however need to make sure to take care when we take a dip in the natural pool as it would be incredible to have even more around the city.
For the Summer of 2018, the city has been so generous to offer everyone free admission! So you have absolutely no reason not to go check it out!
For more information about the Borden Park Natural Pool click here.
Hope to see you there!