August is more than half over, which means that Vancouver children will be heading back to school before we know it. And even if your little one has been in daycare all summer long, this is the time of year when you’ll want to think about outfitting them for cooler weather. Soon sun hats will give way to toques and sandals will give way to rain boots. If you’re outfitting your little one for September, we have some Vancouver shopping tips to share.
We all know it rains in our fair city, especially in the fall and winter months. So rain gear is a must for your Vancouver shopping list at back-to-school time.
Vancouver Shopping for Rain Gear
- Stonz – Designed by a Vancouver mama for our climate, these soft booties will keep pre-walkers warm and dry in wet weather. They also carry rain boots and winter boots for older children. Shop online or visit their website to find a retailer. www.stonzwear.com
- The Umbrella Shop – This isn’t the cheapest, but if you want a quality, stylish umbrella this is the place for you. You may want to invest in one for yourself, especially if you’ll be walking your little one to school or preschool. www.theumbrellashop.com
- MEC – Unsurprisingly, this homegrown company is a great Vancouver shopping destination for outerwear for the whole family. Again, you might be paying a little more, but you’re getting good stuff in return. www.mec.ca
Pack it Up
Two more back-to-school must-haves for even the youngest kids are a lunch box and backpack. Kids need to eat, and they need something to carry all their stuff to school and back.
Vancouver Shopping for Backpacks and Lunch Boxes
- Raspberry Kids – This Vancouver online shop has a great selection of adorable, high-quality backpacks and lunch boxes with an eco-conscious twist. Shop online or check out their website for info on how you can drop by their warehouse where you’ll find a secret Vancouver shopping heaven. www.raspberrykids.com
- Pottery Barn Kids – This high-end kids store carries adorable backpacks in a variety of sizes. You won’t be able to resist the matching lunch boxes. Shop online or in-store. www.potterybarnkids.com
- MEC – MEC is also a good place to go in search of quality backpacks that will take some love from your little ones. www.mec.ca
You can support your little one in preschool by giving them opportunities to bring their learning home. Books, music, craft supplies and dress-up clothes are both fun and educational.
Vancouver Shopping for Educational Supplies
- Kidsbooks – This Vancouver bookstore has two locations carrying books, learning materials and toys for babies through young adults. This is your Vancouver shopping destination for children’s literature. www.kidsbooks.ca
- Kids Market – This is a bit of a cheat, but if you want to nurture your child’s imagination there are so many great stores in Granville Island’s Kids Market that will help. From toy kitchens to dress-up clothes to puzzles and games, you’ll find it all. www.kidsmarket.ca
- Creative Children – If you live in the Port Moody area or you’re up for a drive this teacher supply store is a treasure trove of craft supplies and learning tools. Scout their catalogue online in advance to plan your purchases. www.creativechildreneducational.com