If you are looking for a fun and educational advent calendar idea, this one fits the bill. I love the idea of doing books for little ones for a few reasons. They are already getting WAY to much chocolate and sweets this time of year. You don’t have to come up with a ton of creative ideas, just the book titles. It’s easy for little ones to understand (as opposed to the acts of kindness advent idea, which I love but for older kids). It promotes quality family time. The counting, the reading, the learning, the excitement!
Lisa, a local mama, shared with me her book advent calendar idea, so I thought I would share it with you. If you are feeling rushed or super busy this year, who isn’t?! Do not fret! You can always change the number of days that you do. Who said that advent calendars always have to start on Dec 1? Do what works for you!
- Decide how many days you want and if you have more than one child, decide if they share or get their own books.
- Source your books. Simple board books, Christmas themed books, workbooks, even colouring books will do the trick! Dollar stores actually have an impressive selection of books most of the time. Check the sales bins at Chapters or even your local library, as they usually run book sales on used books. One mama I know even wraps up some of the books they already have in the home that have been neglected lately. What a great way to bring life to something you already have!
- Wrap the books. Choose to be as simple or festive as you wish!
- Number the books. I suggest doing what Lisa did with large simple numbers for easy identifying for the little ones.
- Have a special basket or place to keep the collection.
- Open up a book a day and enjoy some quality time with your kiddo!
Thanks Lisa, for sharing your project! Are you doing an advent calendar this year?