We recently visited Long Island Lake with some friends and it was ah-mazing! This is a hidden gem that you are going to want to check out before the summer is over and with it being located just outside of Westlock it makes for a great day trip. Note: Camping is also available and you can find the site map here.
The beach was great for making sandcastles and the water was perfect for wading/floating.
There is also a playground, complete with swings and a volleyball net.
Our little ones had a great time hiding in these tires while the older kids enjoyed climbing on them.
- If you are going for the day, arrive early and stay all day (aka as long as you can before the meltdowns start)
- Pack lots of snacks and lots of water
- Don’t forget a blanket, sunscreen and an umbrella/tent/shade if you have one
- Sand toys and inflatables are great too
- Day use fee is $5 but so worth it!
- Travel time is about 1.5 hours but we hit a lot of construction on Highway 44 so you could avoid that to cut the travel time down.
- There are bathrooms (outhouses) and change rooms on site
Long Island Lake is located outside of Westlock and the directions from the Long Island Lake Website are as follows: From the Town of Westlock, 22 km North on Hwy 44 to Dapp Corner (Hwy’s 44, 661 E & 801 Junction), then 12 km North on Hwy 801 and 3 km East.
Have you been to Long Island Lake before?