Moving is connected with the start of a new chapter in life, hence it is a significant event. However, planning the move, packing and packing your belongings and transporting them can take a lot of time and effort. Also, beforehand, you may not even realise the sheer amount of packing materials you may need:
- Regular and compacted boxes
- Cling film
- Dressing material
All of these can prove to be quite expensive. The typical price range for a box is between $1 and $3.75. However, non-standard boxes, like those used for packing cabinets and mirrors, tend to be more expensive. As for other packing supplies, paper averages $9 per pack, while glass packing kits range from $10 to $15 per box. Kitchen kits come in at around $102.
Therefore, in this article, we will give you some alternatives to find free packing materials that will ensure a painless and cost-effective move.
In saturated metropolitan areas and just large cities with heavy traffic, there are traffic jams. That is why it is quite rational to use the services of A+ Moving Charlotte and not worry about your time and money.
One of the most common moving mistakes is trying to do everything by yourself. It is very labour intensive. Indeed, in addition to the fact that things need to be collected and packed, they also need to be delivered. With a passenger car of any size, it’s impossible to take everything at once, for sure. Thus, you will have to travel many times to deliver all the things from the old home to the new one. And if the distance between them is large enough, then this will require significant cash costs.
Local Retail Stores
There are rarely empty boxes lying near stores, so you need to go in and ask the sellers. Many are lucky, they endure a couple of excellent boxes. Such containers are safe and strong, because they are designed for transporting products.
What is suitable can be found in the store:
- fruit and vegetable boxes,
- dense boxes,
- boxes for small items,
- thin boxes (which you can use as cardboard for moving fragile items in large boxes).
As a rule, new deliveries are sorted out in the morning before the store opens. If you visit at this time, you have a good chance of getting a good haul.
Schools And Universities
New books are often purchased by both schools, universities, and libraries. In addition, these institutions often order consumables and equipment. As a rule, boxes are thrown away, or they simply gather dust in warehouses.
If you know teachers or librarians, ask them to bring you some boxes. If there is no one in mind, then just contact the administration or service personnel and find out if they have an excess of packaging materials. Most likely, they will be happy to help you and clean up their warehouse at the same time.
But it should be borne in mind that nothing heavy should be placed in this container. Save it for bedding or clothing.
Workplaces And Offices
First of all, it makes sense to clarify at your place of work, maybe there are unnecessary boxes from the delivery of stationery or office equipment. Such boxes are spacious and roomy and it is unlikely that someone from the office will need such a quantity.
Many businesses receive packages and have boxes and bubble wrap that they no longer need. If this is not exactly found at your workplace, then check with your friends or simply contact the office manager to find out about the availability of free packaging materials.
Since such goods as books are very heavy, the boxes in which they are transported are very durable. Visit your nearest bookstore or library and ask if they have any empty boxes you can take from them.
Visit your neighbourhood recycling facilities if you’re looking for free packing supplies. You can acquire used boxes and packing supplies in a variety of sizes and shapes to meet your moving needs because people frequently recycle used boxes and packing materials. Remember to be careful and take only what you need, leaving some materials for others.
There are several services that help you find and recycle packing materials near your location.
- Freecycle is a non-profit organization that aims to save things that are usable. It’s completely free to join the community, search and post your offers (give away items you don’t need). You can also find packing supplies there.
- The well-known Craigslist allows you to find the packing materials you need for free and close to your location, so you don’t have to spend money on traveling as well.
Maximize Your Home Packing Resources
You may be surprised at how much free packing material is right under your nose!
- Fill buckets and baskets with household items.
- Suitcases are perfect for heavy items like books.
- Garbage bags are great for putting clothes and home textiles in.
- As an alternative to special blankets for moving, you can use regular household blankets. They’re great for cushioning fragile items, but choose ones that won’t get too dusty.
- Towels are fine for cushioning small fragile items.
- Socks can be used as protection for glasses or small fragile items:
- Newspapers, while not as clean as wrapping paper, are plentiful and often free. Just ask your neighbors if they have any free ones.
A Few Caveats When Looking for Free Packaging
- Use only durable materials and boxes for packaging. After all, the safety of your belongings and furniture directly depends on this.
- Soft cardboard boxes will also come in handy: cut them up and use them for shifting fragile things like dishes, basics, decorative statues.
- Be sure to check that the free packaging is dry and clean; otherwise, there is a risk that the items being transported will be irreversibly soiled or damaged. Also, even if the box is clean but has an unpleasant odor, it’s best to discard it so your belongings don’t absorb it.
- Be careful, and don’t break the law. If you want to take the boxes from the store or anywhere else for free, it’s best to check with the workers if this can be done.
You can obtain a variety of options without spending a thing everywhere, from groceries and retail stores to online businesses and recycling facilities. Think sustainably by recycling items whenever possible, being inventive, and politely asking. You may guarantee a hassle-free and ecologically responsible move while staying within your budget by making use of these resources.