Demystifying the Role of a Sleep Consultant! by Meaghan Lussier
I find that there tends to be a misconception about what the role of a Sleep Consultant really is. I often get referred to as a ‘Sleep Trainer’ which makes me really uncomfortable. The role of a Sleep Consultant really is more about encouraging parents to modify existing habits that are no longer effective, than about ‘training’ a baby.
As a wife and mother of two, the only Certified Sleep SenseTM Consultant in the province of Manitoba, and the owner of Time For Bed Sleep Solutions, my philosophy is that healthy sleep habits makes for a healthy family!
I focus on the needs of the child, while at the same time, educating parents about their child’s sleep requirements and then support them while they make the necessary adjustments to their existing routines and sleep strategies. The child learning to sleep well is the direct result of the changes made by the parents!
I meet with families when they are at their wits end, and have tried everything within their power to make a change on their own. They have considered the advice of friends, family and colleagues, read several books and articles online and are left in a state of complete overwhelm. I am often their last resort. By the time I come in to a family’s life, they simply want someone to take control of the situation, tell them what they need to do, and guide them in the right direction. Parents are often anxious about the need to make a change, even though deep down, they really DO believe that the change is necessary and that it WILL bring about a positive result. They simply can’t see the forest through the trees!
I often say that sleep is a life skill! It is a vital component to our overall health and well-being. I encourage parents to believe in the fact that their children are capable of sleeping well. Their child’s sleep issues are no fault of the child’s (they don’t know any better), it is often that parents don’t fully understand their child’s sleep needs and the effect of negative sleep associations.
Here is what I truly believe:
- Little ones can learn how to sleep well, they simply need to be given the opportunity to develop their own internal sleep skills and be provided with the optimal environment in which to master those skills.
- A child’s relationship with sleep should be positive, and come from a place of comfort and security, not from a place of anxiety and stress.
My approach to improving your child’s sleep is quite simple:
- I’ll give you honest information about WHY sleep is so important for your child’s well-being. (This will give you all the motivation you need to make changes to your child’s sleep habits.)
- I’ll lay out an easy-to-follow, step-by-step plan that lets you make some choices about what is the right approach for your child. (All children are different, and nobody knows your child better than you do. I encourage you to use your knowledge of your child to customize his or her sleep plan.)
- I’ll show you how to measure success. (No, you shouldn’t expect your child to sleep 12 uninterrupted hours on the first night — although it does happen! I’ll tell you what you should expect along the way)
If you feel that you, or someone you know could benefit from my services and support, please do not hesitate to call me for a free 15 minute evaluation. We’ll use that time to get acquainted with one another, discuss the issues that you are currently struggling with, and set you up with a package that will have you sleeping well in no time!
Meaghan Lussier is the mother of two small children, and the owner of Time For Bed Sleep Solutions (www.timeforbed.ca). Her own struggles with her children’s sleep habits led her to pursue a new passion and career as Pediatric Sleep Consultant. Meaghan has trained and mentored with Dana Obleman, the creator of the Sleep Sense Program and is the only Certified Sleep Sense Consultant in the province of Manitoba.
For more information, or to book a private consultation, contact Meaghan via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by telephone at 204-229-8037.