With the weather warming up and the days getting longer, it is safe to say we officially in “Festival Season” and over the past few years, festivals and events have become increasingly family friendly! Here are a few tips to make sure your kid(s) stay safe in a crowd and you can all enjoy the festivities.
Before you leave home
- If possible, familiarize the kids with the event logo/artwork, if they are lost in a crowd they may be able to identify staff by their logo or signage.
- write your cell phone number on your child’s arm and spray with liquid bandage to ensure it won’t wash/rub/sweat off
- Dress your child in bright or unique colours or patterns — making them easier to spot in a crowd
- If you have multiple children dress them in similar or coordinating outfits so they are easy to identify
On the way
- have a conversation with your kids about what to do when separated from the family:
- stay calm
- try and remember the safe location (to be decided upon arrival) or how to identify staff/team members
- ask for help
- wait with staff until parent/guardian comes to get them
- Before entering the event snap a photo of your child(ren), just in case you forget what they are wearing and/or how their hair is styled
- Designate a meeting point to head to if anyone becomes separated from the group. A great safe spot would be central, possibly with staff present, and with an identifier that is easy to find/remember.
- Remind your children to stay close but if they do happen to be separated from you for them to stay calm and ask for help/head towards the meeting spot (depending on age)
As much as we would like to think that our children won’t get lost or separated from the group, the reality is that they might and being prepared helps to keep everyone’s stress levels down and ensure that they won’t be separated for long!
**Image Courtesy of Shutterstock**
Do you have any tips to add? Comment below or email lindsay(at)modernmama(dot)com