Spring Break on the Square!
By: Annette Aslund
Edmonton… From noon to 4:00 pm, March 30 to April 3, the Edmonton Arts Council (EAC) will be filling Sir Winston Churchill Square with family fun for spring break. EAC’s Happenings on the Square will host free, drop-in activities for children of all ages and interests.
Come to the Square to enjoy:
- Bouncy castles
- Lightsaber training for young Padawans, BYOL (bring your own lightsaber)
- DJ CreeAsian pumping out beats and providing b-boy lessons
- Sportball: non-competitive, skill-building play
- Adventure Bus mobile gym on Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday
- In addition, games of table tennis, basketball, ball hockey, giant checkers, and more!
The Square is easily accessible via public transportation. A mud-free area for children to play, various food vendors, and nearby public washrooms makes Sir Winston Churchill Square an ideal venue for a family outing (please note that all activities are weather dependent).
The EAC, in partnership with the City of Edmonton, programs activity and event happenings in Sir Winston Churchill Square for casual and day-to-day public use between major festivals and civic events. Since August 2011, EAC Churchill Square Programmer Bob Rasko has produced a diverse schedule of offerings open to the public including: Sunday Swing ‘n Skate, Live at Lunch, and Zumba on the Square.
Photo Credit: Brad Crowfoot