If your kids are like mine, they can spend a whole day playing in the sand. Here is a list of the best beaches (in my opinion) that are driving distance from Edmonton.
- Township Rd 531A, Alberta
- Wabamun Provincial Park Beach is located on the northeast corner of the lake in Moonlight Bay near the Village of Wabamun. Wabamun is a Cree word meaning “mirror”or “looking glass”.
- The beach is wide and sandy with a grassy area upshore for picnicing.
- The swimming area is shallow and deepens gradually. The water in the swimming area is usually clear and warm in July and August.
- This is a family-friendly spot with all of the amenities for a day at the beach – including a playground, boat launch, and dock.
- 2022 review: If it’s a hot day, get there before ~10:30am as it gets busy FAST and they will turn you away at the gate if they are at capacity.
Devon Voyageur Park
- 100 Saskatchewan Ave W, Devon, AB
- Voyager Park is a great family park for summer activities and offers easy access to the river and trails.
- The trail system has way-finding signage along the path highlighting the wildlife you may encounter.
- Families can enjoy large wide-open areas with plenty of picnic tables and fire pits to enjoy an afternoon picnic, as well as general areas that have expansive play areas for kids and public restrooms.
- Rocky beach with shallow access to river
- The Village of Alberta Beach is set on the east shore of Lac Ste. Anne and is a short 60km drive west of Edmonton.
- The beach area is situated right in the heart of town.
- There are port-o-potties, as well as accessible flush toilets but they aren’t always open.
- It is sandy and has a grassy picnic area.
- The water is shallow and warm, you can walk out for a long while so it is great for small children as well.
- You can rent paddleboats, paddle boards and kayaks.
- There are several restaurants across the street with either take out options to bring to the beach or lovely patios to sit on.
- 2022 review: The beach area is ALOT bigger, and the grassy area is fixed up. Yay for the Pope coming that they finally got the funding lol!
Sandy Beach Day Park
- 66 Lakeshore Dr, Onoway, AB
- Sandy Beach (Lake) is located 55km Northwest of Edmonton on Hwy 642 in Lac Ste. Anne County
- Large sandy area near the new modern playground
- No direct access to the lake for swimming
- boat launch nearby
- Day shelter with picnic tables
- Ma-Me-O Beach is located at the south-east end of Pigeon Lake, on Highway 13A about 1 hour south-west of Edmonton
- The beach and day-use area at Ma Me O is known for its white, plentiful sand, as well as excellent amenities such as the playground and picnic areas.
- Dogs are not permitted on the beach.
Elk Island Beach
- Astotin Lake offers a peaceful lakeside setting for your next picnic or family outing.
- The Astotin Lake area of Elk Island National Park has picnic shelters and tables, fire pits, drinking water and washrooms to make your picnic enjoyable and comfortable.
- Take time to visit the Astotin Lake campground, golf course, interpretive theatre, and hiking trails.
- Don’t forget to stay for a breathtaking sunset to complete your day.
- Float your own boat or rent a canoe, kayak or stand up paddle board at the Astotin Lake Recreation area
- The boat launch is located at the north end of the Astotin Lake Area
- Motorized boats are not permitted on Astotin Lake
- Swimming is allowed but beware of swimmers itch
Allan Beach on Hubble Lake
- Located on Hubbles Lake near Stony Plain, Alberta, Canada and less than 30km west of Edmonton, Alberta on the Highway 16 corridor.
- The lake is reserved for non-motorized watercraft and boasts excellent canoeing, scuba diving, windsurfing, sailing and fishing.
- The clear water and surprising depth (30m) have made it a popular destination for over 60 years.
- Grassy area with fire pits (first come first serve), large sandy beach, Onsite Store and Porta-Potties
- Day-Pass – Includes Parking
- Adult: $12.00
- Child 6+: $6.00
- Under 6 Free
Half Moon Lake
- 21524 TWP Road 520, Sherwood Park, Alberta
- Beach sports, mini golf, paddle boats and great play areas will give your entire family a time to remember
- Spread out a blanket, plant an umbrella, bring your cooler and towels to post up on the beach for the day.
- Luxuriate in the sun, curl up with a book, or play some cards on the beach while your kids build sand castles or play in the park.
- DAY USE
- Adult: $12.50
- Child: $6.00
- Family: $30.00
Long Island Lake
- 40km north of Westlock on Hwy44, off Hwy801
- Beach with Playground, Volleyball, Horseshoe and Change Room
- Bathrooms (outhouses only no running water)
- Day Use Parking and Picnic Sites
- Beach Day Use and Day Use Boats
- Will be available on a first come first serve basis. Limited quantities are available daily. Call ahead or come early to avoid disappointment.
- Day Use Beach $10.00/vehicle plus GST.
- Day Use Boats $20.00 plus GST.