Twice a month we interview Dads in our “How Does He Do It?” feature. If interested in participating please reach out on Facebook and Instagram.
We are excited to introduce you to Joe Clapson. Joe is a married dad to three children. He lives with his family in London, England. He is an author to a book, The Diary of DaddyShortLegs. You can follow Joe on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram as well.
Are you an urban or suburban dad, where do you live?
I live in London, England so have a very urban life with my wife Lauren and the kids. We are a 30-munute Tube ride from the centre of the capital, where I work.
Tell us about your children?
As of New Year’s Eve 2019 I have three children. I have two girls aged four and two and a newborn boy. The girls are happy, gregarious, fun-loving, food-loving, boisterous, and hugely independent (within the realms of safety!). Ultimately they are hilarious! The new boy in the house was pretty big (4.6kg / 10lb 4oz) and is feeding well, courtesy of my superhero wife and he is becoming aware of his besotted older sisters.
Tell us about your typical weekday?
I’m on paternity leave at the moment so the script has been torn up but a typical day would be like this:
– girls wake at 0700, I dress them, wash faces and brush teeth, ideally by 0745 but by 0815 on a slow day.
– at some point in this process I dress myself…
– Mummy says goodbye and leaves for work at about 0730
– we depart the house with one in the buggy and one on foot to get to nursery no later than 0830 to be in time for breakfast!
– I head into work for 0915ish. I work in media and comms for the Ministry of Defence which involves writing and pitching stories, creating videos and running social media channels for the British Army.
– The girls are picked up from nursery by their mum who takes them home.
– I usually return home in time for snack time ahead of bath and bed. I usually do bath time and my wife and I share bed times.
It is all change at the moment with number 3’s feeding cycle but we’ll get a regime soon!
Do you have help?
The girls are in nursery three days a week and with my mum (their nanny) two days a week from 0830-6pm.
Who cooks dinner?
Usually Lauren, because she enjoys cooking as a way to chill out but I chip in with speciality dishes now and again.
How often do you have date nights?
Probably once or twice a month, if we can get a babysitter – usually a grandparent or auntie.
What clothing lines or stores do you like to purchase for your children?
Baby Gap, Jojo Maman Bebe, Polarn O. Pyret winter kit, Bonds.
Do you exercise regularly and if so, what and how do you fit in it?
Yes I try train at 3 times a week, in the gym or doing boyweight exercises at home. I also run an outdoor group exercise class where adults can bring babies/toddlers if they want.
What is your favourite Christmas/Hanukkah gift that you have received as an adult?
The best Christmas present I’ve received as an adult is probably tickets to see The Prodigy live. It turned out to be one of the last shows they ever performed with Keith as the front man.
What are you currently watching?
The Thick Of It, The Inbetweeners, Tom Segura, Stewart Lee.
Thank you to Joe Clapson for taking the time out of his day to let us know “How Does He Do It.”