What a spectacular turnout at our Modern Bump Brunch on Sunday! We were completely full in our room at Park Royal’s Keg Steakhouse & Bar with 28 new mamas and mamas-to-be, and we couldn’t have asked for a nicer group of women to hang out with all afternoon.
Our guests spent a jam-packed three hours mingling with sponsors and checking out product & service displays, listening to highly informative talks, eating from our delicious & highly nutritious brunch spread provided by Whole Foods Market (Park Royal) and COBS Bread (Edgemont), getting belly photographs taken by Magie of Earthling Photography and mini-massages from Mako of Allevia Relaxation Chair Massage, picking out their choices of our 28 door prizes, and taking home loaded swag bags!
We were very proud to serve our guests Whole Foods Market wraps, tofu & chicken skewers, fruit, veggies, and cheese, as their quality standards for food (and the length of the list of ingredients they do NOT allow in their products) is unsurpassed in our community. Couldn’t think of anything better to provide for new mamas and mamas-to-be to nourish themselves and their little ones. For great tips on nutrition for pregnant and nursing moms, check out Whole Foods Market‘s online resource here. And don’t miss their featured Whole Baby Products – we definitely think they’re worth checking out (good for babies and our planet!).
All of our speakers were kind, genuine, highly knowledgeable women with so much wisdom to share with new and expecting mamas, and we were honoured to have them be a part of our event. Here is a snapshot of our speaker highlights:
- Jennifer Garden from Sleepdreams shared lots of tips and tricks for getting newborns off on the right track toward healthy sleep habits, all from the perspective of her team of highly trained registered occupational therapists.
- Rachelle and Stacey from Tender Tushies shared with us their love of cloth diapering and commitment to reducing all of our carbon footprints (with bamboo and microfiber diapers that are easy to use and can cost WAY less than disposable diapers over time).
- Janelle from Yayababy.ca shared with us the personal challenges she faced breastfeeding her first son, and showed us five incredibly useful breastfeeding essentials that improved her experience and are now available through her online baby boutique (including the Milk Trays, Naked Nursing tank top and Au Fait Mama nursing scarf).
- Bree from BC Playthings shared with us the special story of how her family-owned business started in her parents’ kitchen, and how she and her father have carefully selected wholesome, nurturing toys for their store that encourage active, imaginative play for babies and children.
- Liza from Mother Me explained how her team of postnatal doulas supports new parents, including assistance with mom’s recovery, breastfeeding support, twin & triplet care and night-time care. Such an amazing & necessary support service for new mamas who don’t have partners, whose partners travel a lot for work, or who don’t have extended family in town to help out when the new baby arrives!
A Modern Bump Brunch would not be complete without a TON of door prizes….and not just any door prizes….our absolute favourite new mom and baby essentials from a wide variety of generous sponsors. We drew names and every guest took home her pick of prizes.
The top picks were the Medela Freestyle Breast Pump ($400 value), i’coo Phoenix stroller ($199 value), the ERGObaby stowaway carrier ($115 value), Aden & Anais sleeping bag & bamboo swaddles ($90 value) and the My Brest Friend nursing pillow provided by our local Boomers & Echoes ($60 value). And we were especially excited to see our one and only mama-to-be in attendance who is expecting TWINS take home the gift certificate for 8 hours of postnatal doula support from Mother Me ($250 value). For a full list of our 28 door prizes, check out our event listing here.
Finally, a huge thanks to our friends at the Keg Steakhouse & Bar. They came through for us at the last minute when we had complications with our original venue, and the staff (including Greg, Chris and Shannon) provided exceptional service and graciously let us take over the restaurant for the whole afternoon. Couldn’t have held this fantastic event without them. Hope they’ll let us come back next season!
Best wishes to all of the new mamas & mamas-to-be who attended our first Modern Bump Brunch on the North Shore. We hope you all have smooth pregnancies and labours, and come back to see us at future Modern Mama events as your bambinos grow!
– Angela & Jai
THANK YOU TO OUR EVENT & MEDIA SPONSORS: