Let me start by saying I love potatoes; and sadly my kiddos do not. On my mission to get them enjoying all vegetables I like to introduce them to different recipes and variations. After a recent farmers market trip we had an over abundance of potatoes (yay!) so I attempted potato pancakes and they turned out great! AND they are not too complicated to make so I wanted to share the recipe with you!
You will need:
- black pepper
- cayenne pepper
- garlic (fresh or dried)
- Onion (grated)
- Vegetable Oil (for frying)
~ Grate potatoes using a cheese grater or food processor (grater attachment)
~ Spread grated potatoes on paper towels to absorb moisture; pat potatoes with additional paper towels to remove as much moisture as possible.
- Combine spices & flour mixture in bowl
- Add grated onions to grated potatoes; mix in egg and spices
- Heat oil in frying pan until quite hot (375 degrees)
- Once oil is hot drop spoonfuls of potato batter into pan and flatten slightly
- Pay attention to when one side is lightly browned and flip over and allow the other side to brown
- Remove from pan and place on paper towel covered plate, allowing the oil to drain off
**I used 5 medium potatoes; half of a large onion; 1 egg; 5 tablespoons of flour; 1 tsp of each spice**