Updated Dec 28, 2021
This year everything is being done a little different…again. So how should/can we celebrate New Years this year? I feel like we need to really celebrate the start of a new year because the last 2 years (2020/2021) have been so hard – I just want to celebrate their passing and the start of a new fresh year with the hope that things will get better. Perhaps a goodbye celebration is more appropriate? Regardless of how you look at it, out with the old, in the with new, a new years is a chance to start fresh. No matter what restrictions we have in place for the first part of the year or what this new year is going to have in store for us, we are all resilient and we can make the best of any situation. Heck we have been doing it for almost 2 years already.
If 2020/2021 has taught me anything it is to that I am very resilient, It has reminded me that life is short and we do need to do what we can for each other. Above all, I have been reminded of the importance of family and how family comes first no matter what.
I don’t do resolutions, I do epiphanies. I have come to many realizations and will be working on them in the new year. Life is, if anything a learning experience. You are always learning something new, no matter how old you are or where you are from. I shall end this year feeling grateful that it has come to an end and excited for what I can learn in the new year.
So given that we are all staying at home or in small groups this New Years eve, what can we do to keep everyone entertained and make it a another New Years to remember?
I have compiled a list of some ways to celebrate and some simple yummy food and drink ideas for the whole family.
Things to Do:
- Family game night. Board games, card games or Family Bingo, Charades, Pictionary.
- Play games virtually with family and friends. Here is a list of some popular games to play virtually:
Psych! If you love Balderdash you will enjoy Psych! Play this game remotely with family and friends (min of 2 players). Get it on App Store or Google Play
Scrabble Go! App Store or Google Play
8 Ball Pool. App Store or Google Play
UNO – Who doesn’t love UNO! Its been a great game for our family – so easy to learn and great for younger kids. App Store or Google Play
Yahtzee with Buddies App Store or Google Play
Boggle With Friends App Store or Google Play
Scattegories App Store or Google Play
Mario Kart Tour App Store or Google Play
Monopoly App Store or Google Play
Kahoot! App Store or Google Play
Would you Rather App Store or Google Play
There are also a series of games that can be played virtually by using HouseParty, which is a group video chat service. HouseParty: App Store or Google PlayHeads Up! We love this game! Heads Up!: App Store or Google Play
Chips and Guac on Houseparty
Trivia on Houseparty
Quick Draw on Houseparty
- Get some props from around the house and/or the dollar store or make your own and do a photo booth. There are lots of great ideas on Pinterest. I picked up a photo booth prop package at Dollarama today for $3.00.
- Have a virtual dance party – coordinate with some family and friends to have a time to connect online and set have a dance party!
- Crafts – make your own hats, photo booth props, games
Here is a great list of some NYE printable crafts and activities.
- Make a scrapbook of memories from the last year or more.
- Create a time capsule (include ticket stubs, news printouts, books, odds and ends, photos etc. Have everyone write a letter to your future self.
- Watch NYE celebrations that are still being televised. Many are still going ahead with ball-drops and fireworks but with in-person participation.
– “Dick Clark’s New Year’s Rockin’ Eve with Ryan Seacrest” on ABC, which is celebrating its 50th year.
-“New Year’s Eve Live: Nashville’s Big Bash” on CBS.
-“Miley’s New Year’s Eve Party Hosted By Miley Cyrus and Pete Davidson on NBC.” Produced by “Saturday Night Live’s” Lorne Michaels, the lineup will include special guests and musical performances.
- Watch fireworks shows on youtube. Ie. Disney fireworks
- Family or Couples movie night. There are a lot of movies to choose from, including some older classics!
Family & Adult Movies: New Years Eve, The Holiday, About a Boy, Phantom Thread. Carol, Snowpiercer, About Time, Sex and the City, Highschool musical, Rent, Are We There Yet, Bridget Jones’s Diary, Highball, Boogie Nights, Waiting to Exhale, While You Were Sleeping, Four Rooms, Forrest Gump, Sleepless in Seattle, When Harry Met Sally, Ghostbusters, Trading Places, New Years Evil, The Godfather, The Poseidon Adventure, The Apartment, Oceans 11, An Affair to Remember, A Hollywood Story, Holiday Inn, After the Thin Man.
Kids Movies: Sesame Street Celebrates Around the World, Rudolph’s Shiny New Year, Happy New Year Charlie Brown, Winnie the Pooh: A Very Merry Pooh Year.
What to Eat?
Make dinner fun! Here are some fun family dinner ideas:
- Do an appetizer buffet including dips. Found some great ideas here.
- Make your own taco station
- Lettuce wrap station
- Sandwich-making station
- Pizza-making station
- Charcuterie board
- Shrimp Broil (recipe)
- Seafood feast – bring on the prawns, crab legs, lobster throw in a steak. mmmmmmm
- Order in take-out (although due to how busy it can be – plan to order ahead or early)
- Make a full festive meal (turkey, ham and all the fixins’) and get the whole family involved!
- Have a smorgasbord of everyone’s favorite items on the table.
Why not try to incorporate “lucky” foods into your New Years festivities. For a list of dishes that you can make with specific foods that are “lucky” check these out.
- Prosperity: Herring, Lentils, Black-eyed peas and pork
- Wealth: Cornbread, collard greens and saurkraut
- Longevity (long healthy life): Soba Noodles or long noodles
- Fertility & Wealth: Rice
- Promise of a New Start: Serve a whole fish, Round Foods ie. cakes, cookies, pastries, round fruits like oranges.
- Good luck in the New Year: Eat 12 grapes before midnight, pretzels
What to Drink?
Fun Drinks for Adults:
Check out our amazing lists of adult festive cocktails that we have put together over the years. Many of these festive cocktails can be made into kid-friendly mocktails as well. 2021 Cocktail Advent 2020 Cocktail Advent New Years Cocktails
Fun drinks for kids:
Check out these fun mocktails! Kids love bubbly too!
Note: feel free to Cut the juice with water if you need to. If your kids go nuts when they have juice, you won’t want them wired right before bedtime (especially if you’re adding in the candy!)
This fun drink uses 4 types of fruit juice and lemon-lime soda.
Ginger Sour Hiccup
Lemon juice, grenadine, simple syrup and ginger ale are you need. Top with maraschino cherries.
In a champagne flute (I bought plastic ones from dollarstore) toss in a few colorful gummy bears or sour patch kids then top with sparkling Apple or Grape Juice.
Cotton Candy Drink
Raspberry Ginger ale (although cranberry ginger ale is in season and likely would also work) and add a dollop of cotton candy on top.
However you choose to celebrate, enjoy your time with your children and any others in your household. This is a great time to reflect on the last year and what is important in life. I hope that this finds you all healthy and my wish for you for the upcoming year is for continued health and happiness.
Thank you for being a loyal follower/reader of Modern Mama. This last 6 months (since I took over the blog) has certainly come with a lot of learning curves and I appreciate your patience with me as I have navigated learning how to run a blog and do this during a pandemic and with a being a mom of 2 littles myself. I am excited to pursue some new ideas that I have for the blog for 2021 and I am excited to share them with you all.
If you have any content ideas or products that you would like to see reviews on, please feel free to send me an email firstname.lastname@example.org or leave a comment below.
Happy New Year Everyone!