**Disclaimer – I did receive compensation for this article**
This school year has been a very rocky one, to say the least. From not knowing what the school year would look like during the summer, to now having schools open while COVID numbers are raging on, there is a lot of parents (and many students) feeling unsettled over what may come of this year. That is why Camp Yowochas has launched the Learning Academy.
About Camp Yowochas
Located approximately 50 minutes west of Edmonton, on Lake Wabamun, Camp Yowochas has been running year round programs since 1981, and summer camp programs since 1918. Camp Yowochas is highly regarded as one of Alberta’s finest summer camps and outdoor education centres. Every year nearly 8,300 children, youth, and adults experience the exceptional team building, leadership development, and environmental education Camp Yowochas has to offer.
Yowochas Learning Academy safely combines the benefits and outcomes from Camp Yowochas programming while supporting kids through their online learning and virtual school. It is designed for students who are 5-15 years old and who are enrolled in Kindergarten to Grade 9 to give parents the peace of mind knowing their children are excelling in their curriculum while enriching their education with outdoor or other activities.
A Safe Space to Learn
- For safety, and to ensure COVID-19 protocols are followed, the maximum number of spaces in our YLA pods are 10.
- The small number of campers, along with their dedicated staff team will also ensure a strong relationship can be built and we can support your child’s learning and development.
- Masks are worn by Camp staff, and students, when indoors when they are not at their desks.
- Camp Yowochas is situated on 60 acres of land and has large, indoor spaces. This gives students plenty of space to spread out and remain physically distanced.
What You Can Expect at YLA
- When the campers are not working on their mandatory school work, staff will facilitate camp experiences including: archery, orienteering, canoeing, hiking, low ropes, rock climbing, and more.
- Camp Yowochas is a fully equipped, outdoor education facility and summer camp, and camp staff never wastes an opportunity to get the kids outside learning new skills and reflecting on the activities of the day.
Everyone is doing their best to cope with the concerns of COVID-19 that best suits their family. YLA is an opportunity to help your children stay on track with school, and pick up some valuable life skills along the way — all in a safe and healthy manner. Camp Yowochas prides itself on the growth they spur in campers, while also providing the peace of mind for parents, knowing that their children are safe and cared for.
Safety is now, and always has been, their top priority at Camp Yowochas, and they are taking the risks associated with COVID-19 seriously. Some of the steps they are taking to ensure a safe and healthy experience are:
- Parents do a health check each morning with their campers, and they keep them home if they have any symptoms
- Temperature check and health questionnaire upon arrival at Camp Yowochas
- Notifying parents if their camper develops any symptoms and require pickup
- 2 comfortable quarantine rooms to isolate campers who develop symptoms
- Rigorous cleaning and disinfecting procedures throughout the day and the end of each day
- Staff are equipped with masks and hand sanitizer
- Outdoor hand washing stations available to reduce our time spent indoors
Dates and Prices
YLA is broken down into 4 different terms. The dates coincide with Parkland School Divisions return to the classroom.
Pricing is per child and varies each term. Parents can elect to register their children for a full, 5 day a week program, a 3 day a week (Monday, Wednesday, and Friday) or a 2 day a week (Tuesday and Thursday) program.
Term: September 8th to November 6th – Pricing for all 3 options is prorated to start date.
Term: November 16th to December 23rd – 5 days – $900; 3 days – $600; 2 days – $450
Term: January 4th to March 26th – 5 days – $1,900; 3 days – $1,300; 2 days – $960
Term: April 6th to June 25th – 5 days – $1,900; 3 days – $1,300; 2 days – $960
In a typical year at Camp Yowochas, our staff members are busy providing programs for more than 8,000 guests throughout the year. The COVID-19 pandemic changed everything this year, and we worked hard to figure out safe, responsible, and meaningful ways to continue to run programs at Camp Yowochas. Through our Yowochas Learning Academy, we continue to support our community by offering programs that meet their needs in these uncertain times — Terry Kony, Director, Camp Yowochas
We were resolved to keep Camp Yowochas open during these unprecedented times and to continue to offer essential programs for those who need it. Yowochas Learning Academy gives families access to a flexible, affordable school option so we can support families as we move through the pandemic and beyond — Katherine O’Neill, CEO, YWCA Edmonton
Testimonial: Yowochas Learning Academy has been hugely beneficial for my daughter. She has had the opportunity to experience all of the fun activities camp has to offer in a safe environment. The staff have done an excellent job making sure that she has been online when required and have helped her succeed in her individual assignments. I would highly recommend YLA to anyone looking to enrich their child’s distance learning — Amelia Souliere, YLA Parent
For more information about Camp Yowochas Learning Academy, make sure to check out their website here. Registration for the Learning Academy can only be completed over the phone. If you want to register your child, you can call them at 780-892-2660 Monday through Friday from 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM
If you want to find out more about Camp Yowochas you can find in on their website here.